Thursday, February 22, 2007

Pathan targets World Cup revival

India paceman Irfan Pathan believes he will benefit from a difficult period in international cricket recently.

Pathan was sent home from the tour of South Africa to regain form, missed the Sri Lanka series with shoulder trouble and played once against West Indies.

"Whatever has happened in the last eight months has made me stronger. I am happy to have gone through this phase when I am 22, and not 28," he said.

"Injury is not an issue, I'm confident of a good show in the Caribbean."

Pathan took only one wicket in three matches against South Africa.

"When you are taking wickets, no one talks about your line and length or your speed," he observed.

"But when you stop taking wickets, then people always try and find fault in the way you are bowling."

He has become almost as well known for his batting in recent times, often used as an explosive hitter, and fired four fours and two sixes in an unbeaten 47 against the South Africans.

"I have never called myself an all-rounder. The media has given me this tag. I have always maintained I am a bowler first and batting is just an added advantage," he insisted.

No comments: