Friday, February 23, 2007

Pollard ready to seize Cup chance


West Indies cricket
West Indies newcomer Kieron Pollard is hoping to mark his elevation to the senior squad with a significant role in the forthcoming World Cup.

The 6ft 3ins all-rounder hit 83 from 38 balls in a domestic Twenty20 match and averaged over 50 in one-day matches.

"I know the whole Caribbean is backing us to win - and win in style," he said.

"I'm just looking to play for the team, whatever role I have. I don't think I'll be too nervous, I love a challenge and I'm looking forward to it."

Having made his mark in the shortest form of the game, Pollard proved he could figure in first-class cricket too with 126 on his debut, a swashbuckling innings featuring six sixes.

Then, after being named in the provisional World Cup squad of 30, he fired six more sixes in another century and the selectors were prepared to take a chance on him for the big event.

Past greats sometimes say players don't take their chance but I'm determined
Kieron Pollard

"From grade cricket to the West Indies team has been very fast, a dream come true but very overwhelming. I've just got to keep my feet on the ground and continue what I'm doing," the Trinidadian told BBC World Service Sport.

"Up until last year I was watching the guys on television, getting the chance to play with them was a great feeling.

"I had interacted with a lot of them before, Dwayne Bravo and Daren Ganga told me about some experiences they've had and that's going to be useful."

Legendary West Indian batsman Gordon Greenidge, now chairman of selectors, has spoken of Pollard's all-round athleticism, and the teenager vowed not to disappoint him.

"It's nice when past greats say good things about you.... I'm willing and determined to capitalise," he added.

No comments: