Monday, February 19, 2007

West Indies 'can win World Cup'

Cricket legends Sir Viv Richards and Courtney Walsh believe West Indies can become the first team to win the World Cup on home soil.

Cricket's showpiece tournament begins in three weeks' time in the Caribbean but no host team has ever won.

Richards said: "I have always said we have a very good chance of winning this World Cup.

"We have a team that is good enough to compete and there are so many things for them to motivate themselves for."


I don't just believe they will do well, I believe they have what it takes to win the World Cup

Courtney Walsh on the West Indies


West Indies have won the World Cup twice, in 1975 and 1979, when the tournament was held in England.

Richards, who played in both those finals, said: "No team has ever hosted a World Cup and won it so that is a great opportunity.

"Winning it as a West Indies unit is collectively good for the whole region, and I believe we stand a very good chance."

The West Indies squad will assemble in Jamaica this week for a preparation camp.

Walsh, who played for 17 years for the national team, added: "I'm a true supporter of the West Indies team and I think we have picked a young, exciting crop of players who will do us proud.

"I don't just believe they will do well, I believe they have what it takes to win the World Cup.

"The camp in Jamaica will serve a useful purpose. A lot is resting on their shoulders, but we have the right formula at the right time, in the right place."

No comments: