Friday, February 23, 2007

Gul back in action after injury


Umar Gul
Gul claimed 5-17 in an ODI against Bangladesh in 2003
Pakistan received some good news ahead of the World Cup when paceman Umar Gul was cleared of serious ankle damage.

The 24-year-old missed the tour of South Africa and it was feared he had fractured the ankle, which would have sidelined him for the World Cup.

But Gul, who has 30 ODI wickets said: "I'm feeling great, I have been bowling at full speed for the last few days."

Pakistan have set a deadline of 28 February for their World Cup squad to pass fitness and doping tests.

Gul made an immediate impact at international level, claiming 25 wickets in his first five Tests, including 5-31 in his maiden match against India in 2004.

I am ready to perform my duties and hopefully we will have a fit bowling attack which can help the team win
Umar Gul

A back injury sidelined him for the whole of 2005 but he captured 18 wickets in four Tests in England last summer.

Prior to his most recent injury concern, he took 2-19 against West Indies in Faisalabad, and with fitness concerns over other bowlers, he may have an important role to play in the World Cup.

"We have two warm-up matches and hopefully they will give me the needed match practice and then I will be able to deliver for my team," Gul said of his preparations for the Caribbean.

"I am ready to perform my duties and hopefully we will have a fit bowling attack which can help the team win."

Pace bowlers Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Asif, who had bans for doping offences lifted last year, both remain injury doubts for the tournament.

Shoaib is due to travel to England for assessment of his troublesome knee and hamstring problems, while Asif is nursing a recurrence of an elbow injury.

No comments: