Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Tendulkar 'hurt' by attitude row

Sachin Tendulkar
Tendulkar scored 64 runs in three matches, top-scoring with 57
Sachin Tendulkar has reacted angrily to claims coach Greg Chappell has questioned the attitude of India's senior players.

India are still reeling after being knocked out of the World Cup at the first group stage.

"I've given my heart and my soul for 17 years. No coach had mentioned that my attitude was not correct," he said.

"I am shattered beyond words and I feel helpless. I've never felt so bad in my entire career."

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is to hold a two-day meeting, starting on Friday, to discuss the team's poor performance in the Caribbean and local reports said Chappell would be bringing up the subject of the players' attitudes.

Tendulkar, 33, told the Times of India: "Cricket has been my life for all these years and will always be.

"Tell me, the world has gone on talking about all this (our defeat and exit) but has anybody spared a thought for us? Did they try to find out what we have been going through?"

The 1983 winners crashed out in the first round after losing two out of three group matches, to Bangladesh and former champions Sri Lanka.

Irate fans and a number of former players have called for the axe to fall on captain Rahul Dravid and Chappell, while senior players, including Tendulkar, are also under fire.

Tendulkar scored just 64 runs in three matches, top-scoring with 57 against Bermuda.

He said: "No matter how many Tests or one-day series you win, nothing else even comes close to a World Cup triumph.

"The World Cup was our passion, our collective goal, our dream and that has been shattered. We all are terribly disappointed over it.

"Again, it's not that we are defending ourselves. We do realise that we played badly and, as a team, we take full responsibility for that.

"But what hurt us most is if the coach has questioned our attitude."

No comments: