Friday, April 13, 2007

Drop Vaughan down order - Warne

By John May

Hampshire captain Shane Warne
Shane Warne is back and bristling in England
Shane Warne says England should stick with under-fire skipper Michael Vaughan but seriously consider dropping him down the batting order.

The Australian Test legend and Hampshire captain said: "Michael Vaughan is the best England captain.

"As captain you have to make sure your place in the team is safe, and he's only averaging 26 in one-dayers.

"He's never made a one-day international 100 and maybe he should bat lower down the order."

Warne also called on the England and Wales Cricket Board to release England's players to their counties if they suffer an early World Cup exit, even if that means a collision course with England coach Duncan Fletcher.

There's part of me that wants to see England get knocked out so it makes Kevin Pietersen available for Hampshire
Shane Warne

The County Championship starts on 18 April with England players set to be rested when they return from the World Cup in the Caribbean.

Warne said: "I'm not sure how long England will last in the World Cup, but I would be disappointed if players aren't available for their counties.

"Duncan Fletcher might not want them to play for their counties and ask for them to be rested.

"But the ECB pays their wages and I hope they would override him and order them to play.

"Having Kevin Pietersen around is going to help us, and I'm sure Lancashire think the same way about Freddie Flintoff and Saj Mahmood.

"I think everyone likes to see England do well, and they may sneak into the semi-finals and hit form at the right time.

"But there's part of me that wants to see them get knocked out so it makes Pietersen available for us."

Warne dismissed recent speculation calling for him to be given a coaching role in the England set-up.

The all-time leading Test wicket-taker, with 708 scalps, said: "I'm not even thinking about coaching at the moment. I have enough on my plate leading Hampshire."

Warne is renowned for his willingness to share information, especially in the close-knit cricket community of spin bowlers.

I had a long chat with Monty Panesar last summer and I hope that helped him
Shane Warne

He said: "I'm always happy to talk to anyone. I've never been one not to help other players if they feel I can help them.

"I talk to other spinners all the time, and I had a long chat with Monty Panesar last summer and I hope that helped him."

Warne was talking as Hampshire reported back for the run-up to the domestic season.

Following his retirement from Test cricket, Warne is now determined to focus all his efforts on leading Hampshire to their first county championship since the 1970s.

"He said: "We're quietly confident we can go all the way. Obviously, every county thinks that at the start of the season but we believe we're one of the best sides in the competition.

"I think Lancashire and Sussex will be our main rivals

"I wouldn't be playing if I didn't think I was still up to it.

"I've had a few months off and hopefully my body has had a rest."

Hampshire have beefed up their attack with the addition of seamer Stuart Clark, who was instrumental in Australia's 5-0 whitewashing of England in the winter's Ashes series.

Warne said: "Stuart is one of the best fast bowlers in the world at the moment. He's a great asset and as a captain it's tremendous to have someone like him to throw the ball to and say: 'Get me a wicket'."

No comments: