Thursday, April 19, 2007

Tait enjoying settled life in fast lane

Australian speedster Shaun Tait has praised skipper Ricky Ponting and veteran paceman Glenn McGrath for helping him settle into the world champions' team.

Tait, the tearaway who has been a World Cup revelation with 14 wickets so far at an average of 20.42, has seized the opportunity to carve out a regular place in the side following the pre-tournament injury to Brett Lee.

Many thought his inaccuracy could cost Australia dear in the World Cup but Ponting has given the 24-year-old South Australian licence to rough up opposing teams' top orders.

It is a tactic which has paid off with Australia, bidding for a third successive World Cup title, cruising into the semi-finals with seven wins in seven matches in the Caribbean.

"I'm feeling quite settled in the team now since being given my place when Brett got injured. That feeling is also helping my bowling and my rhythm," Tait told www.bigstarcricket.com.

"When it's in your mind that you know you're going to play the games it gives you a lot more confidence. It helps you settle down and you feel part of the team a lot more.

"When you're a young player it can be quite hard sometimes in your own mind. The players welcome you but in your own mind you're worrying about settling in and becoming a regular fixture in the team.

"But this tournament has been perfect; I'm having a great time. A lot of that has come from the captain because he has helped me relax and told me not to worry about wides or anything like that and to just enjoy it."

Tait was equal in his praise of McGrath, the tournament's top wicket-taker with 18 victims and who will quit international cricket at the end of the World Cup.

"It has been great to spend more time with a legend like Glenn McGrath before he retires. He has helped me even though he may not realise sometimes," Tait said.

"I listen to him a lot and learn things when, to him, he is probably just talking normally.

"Glenn just thinks of himself as a player in the side and doesn't want to go around telling people how to bowl. But I listen to him a lot and a word here and there helps me out, with my bowling and confidence."

No comments: