Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Smith Lauds Ireland after Victory


South Africa captain Graeme Smith paid tribute to Ireland after his side were pushed all the way in their Super 8 victory in Guyana.

Jacques Kallis' unbeaten 66 was the key as the Proteas reached 165-3 to beat Ireland's 152-8 under Duckworth-Lewis in a rain-affected 35-over match.

And Smith said: "I'm glad we have won, and won well, but I must offer full credit to the way Ireland played.

"They are full of passion and effort and they're a credit to the event."

The opener als offered his congratulations to his top-order batsmen, who once again took responsibility in the run chase.

The wicket got a bit slow after the rain so it was one of those grinding days
Jacques Kallis

"Our top batsmen are going well and it is good for us that they are, because it is a key part of our game," he said.

"It was also nice for Ashwell (Prince, who scored 47 not out) to get some time in the middle after a bit of a barren run.

"Hopefully we can continue firing and push on in the tournament."

Man-of-the-match Kallis added: "It was nice for me to get some runs again. I just had to get past the new ball and then it got a bit easier.

"The wicket got a bit slow after the rain so it was one of those grinding days, but I'm feeling good and hopefully I can play my part in a successful World Cup for us."


No comments: