Tuesday, April 10, 2007

New India coach seeks fun factor

Ravi Shastri
I never want to shy away from a challenge if I can help
Ravi Shastri

India's new interim cricket manager Ravi Shastri wants his players to start enjoying the game of cricket again.

"My endeavour is to see a happy Indian team," Shastri told CNN-IBN.

"Watching India playing in the last three to four months just gave me the impression that they were doing a nine-to-five desk job.

"They had huge weight and expectations on their shoulders. What I want to tell them is that this is sport and they should go out there and enjoy it."

Shastri, a one-time Test all-rounder who is now a TV commentator, will serve as the team's manager for a tour of Bangladesh next month after Australian coach Greg Chappell declined to renew his contract.

Defeats to Bangladesh and Sri Lanka left India out of the World Cup after the group stage. They had been expected to make the semi-finals at least, having won in 1983 and reached the final in 2003.

Shastri, 44, confirmed he would not be in charge of the side for the summer tour of England.

He said: "I love challenges, so, when I was asked whether I would put my hand up, I said yes. I never want to shy away from a challenge if I can help."

Shastri would like a young squad picked for the Bangladesh tour: "There's going to be a lot of cricket to be played by India in the next 12 months, so if you want to give youngsters an opportunity then do it early."

No comments: