Friday, April 13, 2007

Rudolph relishes Yorkshire chance

Jacques Rudolph
Rudolph last played for South Africa in Colombo in August 2006
Yorkshire's new recruit Jacques Rudolph is confident he can benefit from his three-year move to Headingley.

There was controversy when the South African Test batsman was signed as a Kolpak player but the 25-year-old said: "I can't really comment on that.

"They were willing to register me and I was really happy. It's an interesting phase for me, I'm young and will see what I learn from English conditions.

"I'm looking forward to the cricket and I see it as a great development."

Rudolph made his Test debut in 2003 and has made five centuries in his 35 matches, with a top score of 222 not out against Bangladesh.

Having lost his place in the side he elected to join Yorkshire, knowing he would not be able to play for the national team in that three-year period.

I am very fit right now. I will definitely be playing for Yorkshire next week
Younis Khan

"I had to make a decision about my career but I'm really looking forward to joining Yorkshire and giving my best," said the left-hander, who is widely tipped to regain his international place when he returns to South Africa.

After a wretched 2006 campaign in which they narrowly avoided Championship relegation and finished bottom of Pro40 Division Two, Yorkshire suffered further turmoil in the off-season.

Sussex captain Chris Adams was expected to take over as director of cricket but had a last-minute change of heart and rejected the post.

But since then former Tykes favourite Darren Gough has returned as club captain, with another former player Martyn Moxon taking up the director of cricket role.

"I wasn't really clued up about Yorkshire," Rudolph admitted.

"Luckily I know a couple of the guys and there are lots of senior players who can take responsibility."

Meanwhile, Yorkshire have confirmed Pakistan batsman Younis Khan will be available from the start of the County Championship.

The player's move to Headingley was cast into doubt after the Pakistan Cricket Board blocked Gloucestershire's signing of Umar Gul on fitness grounds.

The PCB also told Mohammad Asif, who played for Leicestershire last season, not to accept a county contract.

Younis, however, will join up with his new team-mates on Monday and will be available for their opening Championship match against Surrey at The Oval on Wednesday.

"I have played a lot of domestic cricket in Pakistan and am very fit right now. I will definitely be playing for Yorkshire next week," said the 29-year-old.

Younis had originally been due to join Yorkshire next month but that was brought forward after Pakistan's premature elimination from the World Cup.

Yorkshire also expect to have him available in May after the player told the club he is unlikely to be involved in a three-match one-day series against Sri Lanka after discussions with the PCB.

No comments: