Saturday, June 09, 2007

patience paid dividends-panersar

England spinner Monty Panesar said patience was the key to his four-wicket haul as West Indies collapsed to 229 all out on day two of the third Test.

"I knew the wicket was turning, but as a spinner, you sometimes get a little bit excited and try to bowl some magic balls," said Panesar, who took 4-50.

"There was a bit of bounce and it helped me to hit the splice of the bat.

"But it was a test of patience, trying to get the ball in the right areas and applying pressure from my end."

Panesar revealed how a tea interval talk from the coaching staff had geed up England prior to the final session.

"We sat down as a group and decided we wanted to show a bit more aggression, more intent as a bowling unit and a team. Allan Donald and Peter Moores were very keen on us doing that," he added.

"We showed after tea what an impact being aggressive had on their innings."

Ryan Sidebottom, who took 3-48 to rip out the West Indies middle order, said he was particularly pumped up for the occasion.

And the Nottinghamshire seamer said he and Panesar's last-wicket partnership of 32 provided England with a much-needed lift.

"I'm quite laid-back, but now and again I lose my rag a little bit to get myself fired up," said Sidebottom.

"We spoke about trying to get Ian Bell to 100 [he fell for 97] and it was nice to get a few runs and lift morale in the dressing room.

"We had a bit of a laugh and a chuckle together, played a few shots and one or two came off, although I was a bit lucky I got dropped.

"We'll try to bat out the third day and get as many runs on the board as possible. There's still three days to go."

No comments: