Saturday, June 09, 2007

Gough fractures his bowling hand

Darren Gough broke his bowling hand while posting his best Yorkshire figures for 11 years against Kent.

The ex-England bowler, 36, had 6-47 but took a blow trying to stop a straight drive from tail-ender Ryan McLaren.

The Yorkshire skipper was in his 15th over at Tunbridge Wells when he was struck fielding off his own bowling.

"It was an instinctive reaction, going for the catch. It's very frustrating because I had been feeling very fit and in 'A1' condition," said Gough.

Gough managed a wicket after breaking his hand when yorking McLaren.

But two balls into his next over he gave up the fight and is set to be out for up to five weeks.

Her said: "I knew I had done it straightaway. I tried to carry on, but my hand started swelling up.

"Otherwise I would have kept going.

"It's a sickening blow, but the only consolation is we just have one Championship game against Sussex next week before the Twenty20s.

"I hope to be fit to bowl again after that - we'll just have to wait and see how quickly I recover."

No comments: