Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Panesar soars up bowling rankings

Monty Panesar has climbed from 26th to a career-best 12th in the ICC rankings after his 10 wickets at Old Trafford.

Panesar, 25, the first England spinner since Phil Tufnell in 1997 to achieve the feat, helped the hosts to a 60-run win over West Indies in the third Test.

He is ranked the third best slow bowler in the world after Sri Lanka's Muttiah Muralitharan and Anil Kumble of India.

"He's had a heavy influence in Tests England have won. He's top-class," Windies captain Daren Ganga said.

"He is winning games for England and I rate spinners on how they've influenced a game."

West Indies began the final day at Old Trafford on 301-5 chasing a record 455 to win.

Panesar, who now has 59 wickets in 16 Tests, finished with 6-137, to go with his 4-50 in the first innings, as England wrapped up victory on the final day.

He extracted sharp turn and bounce on a wearing surface and caused all the batsmen problems.


"He's just great to have in the team - I knew chasing that amount of runs with him in the side would always be very difficult for them

Michael Vaughan on Panesar


Bowling unchanged from the Warwick Road end throughout the final day, Panesar's enthusiasm spilled over on a handful of occasions, leading to a rebuke from umpire Aleem Dar.

"Aleem told me to appeal before I started celebrating," said Panesar. "I guess I get a little bit excited when I'm out there."

Coach Peter Moores played down the seriousness of the incident, saying: "When the umpire says not out then Monty stops which I think is fine, it's when people go again that isn't right.

"I thought all the appealing that went on was fine."

Captain Michael Vaughan said he was glad to have Panesar as an option.

"He's becoming pretty special and a really nice left-arm spinner," Vaughan said. "He bowls in good areas and give him a bit of rough and he can hit it.

"He's just great to have in the team. I knew that chasing that amount of runs with him in the side would always be very difficult for them.

"I know he got six-for but I thought they played him pretty well. If they hadn't played him as well as they did he could have ended up with a really big bag of wickets."

No comments: