Monday, June 11, 2007

Harmison happy over improved form

England paceman Steve Harmison declared himself "a lot happier" with his form after an improved showing in the West Indies' second innings at Old Trafford.

The 28-year-old put his erratic form of earlier in the match to one side with improved hostility and accuracy, taking two wickets in the Windies' 301-5.

And he said: "I'm most definitely a lot happier with how it went.

"I was on a bit of a downward spiral but I went away, thought about it, and have shown more of what I can do."

Harmison ended day four with figures of 2-70 from 22 overs, but the statistics did not really represent what was a marked improvement from the seamer.

Following the misdirection and lack of pace he had displayed in earlier matches, some had called for him to miss the final Test at his home ground, the Riverside.

But he said: "I don't want to be taken out of the spotlight. I am fighting and trying to get things right, I'm not sure what purpose could be served by a rest."

South African paceman Allan Donald joined the England set-up ahead of the Old Trafford Test and will be with the team for the final match and the one-dayers which follow.


It's nowhere near where I want to be overall, but I think my contribution today could be the start

Steve Harmison


"AD's not been here too long, but we're just trying to get a working relationship, same as all the bowlers are," said Harmison.

"It will take time and there will be some things that work and some that don't. But it's positive, he's good at his job and in the dressing room, so hopefully it will do the trick."

And Harmison revealed Donald's help on the psychological side of things had proved beneficial.

"I've been working so hard but my mind hasn't been exactly right, or on what I want to do," he said. "But today went a lot better for me and I bowled more like I know I can.

"It's nowhere near where I want to be overall, but I think my contribution today could be the start."

No comments: