Monday, March 19, 2007

Ponting pleased with Aussie bid

Shaun Tait (left) is congratulated by Ricky Ponting
Tait (left) has been one of Australia's success stories
Australia captain Ricky Ponting was pleased with his side's progress in the competition following their emphatic 229-run victory over the Netherlands.

"Things have come together pretty well. We are pretty pleased with the last two matches," the 32-year-old said.

"Our batting has looked very, very good the intent has been very encouraging.

Australia next play South Africa at the weekend and Ponting added: "I think there is a bit of room for improvement - which you'll see on Saturday."

Dutch captain Luuk van Troost has now been on the receiving end of heavy defeats from both the top two rated sides, and admitted it would be a close match between them.

South Africa beat the Netherlands by 221 runs - only eight fewer than Australia - and van Troost said: "I think they're pretty equal to each other.

I feel I'm playing as good as I can play
Brad Hodge

"Maybe South Africa have a few more hard hitters, but Australia have a very good spinner - which maybe South Africa are missing."

Ponting was impressed with his three seamers, all of whom took wickets, plus spinner Brad Hogg, who captured 4-27.

"It can be easy to just go out there when you have a big score on the board and just go through the motions," Ponting admitted.

"But the guys got stuck in and did whatever they could to take wickets and finish the game."

Meanwhile, Brad Hodge, who twice finished unbeaten in the 90s against new Zealand in February, was delighted to finally reach three figures.

"I'm in the side at the moment and my job is to go out and make runs," the 32-year-old said.

"I'm really enjoying playing cricket - I feel I'm playing as good as I can play. Especially after getting a couple of 90s, you think you may never get there."

No comments: