Friday, January 26, 2007

Astle announces shock retirement

Batsman Nathan Astle has shocked New Zealand by announcing his immediate retirement from international cricket.

Astle, who played 81 Tests and 223 one-day internationals, decided to quit despite the team's involvement in the current triangular series in Australia.

"I have been fighting this day for about eight months," he said.

"I so desperately wanted to go to my fourth World Cup, but deep down inside I knew I was lacking motivation and the enjoyments levels just weren't there."

The 35-year-old, who supplemented his batting by bowling deceptive medium pace, reached his decision after Tuesday's match against England in Adelaide.

"I was very close to not coming here but I really wanted to give it one last crack and see if I could find that.

"At this level you've got to have that motivation and for me the enjoyment side is huge, and it's not there any more."

He added: "Once I had made the decision that I would not be going to the World Cup, for the sake of the team I needed to go as soon as possible to make way for another player.

"I don't believe it would have been fair to my team-mates to hold on."

Astle scored 16 centuries in limited-overs internationals, a record for New Zealand, and 7,090 runs at an average of 34.92. Only current captain Stephen Fleming has scored more one-day runs for New Zealand.

He also made 4,702 runs in Tests, including 11 centuries, and took 99 wickets, but his finest achievement was an innings of 222 against England in Christchurch five years ago when his 153-ball double century became the fastest in history.

New Zealand coach John Bracewell, who dropped Astle from the national squad in 2005-06 as he struggled for form, said the player's retirement was totally unexpected.

"Statistically his record puts him into a position of greatness but probably the greatest loss will be his stability and influence inside the team.

"Over the last few years, Nathan has become a great mentor for the younger players, and sometimes the not so young," he said.

Lou Vincent has been rushed to Perth to replace Astle in New Zealand's squad ahead of Sunday's match against Australia.

Skipper Stephen Fleming, meanwhile, paid tribute to Astle, who he described as a "great sounding board" for a captain because of his "calmness and consistency".

He added: "Nathan was a very uncomplicated, naturally aggressive player, who was just great to watch."

Martin Crowe, arguably the finest New Zealand batsman of all time, said Astle had worked hard over the years to "become the best he could be".

He continued: "Nathan was a fantastic talent and a true match-winner in the one-day game. I will miss him charging the fastest of opening bowlers, smashing them back fearlessly over their heads to the boundary.

"His 16 [one-day] tons for NZ will not be matched for a long, long time. He won more matches for NZ than any before and most likely any in the future."

No comments: