Saturday, December 30, 2006

Clark ready to fill McGrath void

McgrathAustralian bowler Stuart Clark says he will have massive shoes to fill once Glenn McGrath retires from Test cricket at the end of the Ashes series.

Clark's bowling style has often been likened to McGrath who will play his final Test match in the fifth Test against England at the SCG beginning next Tuesday.

Clark has been one of the stars of the Ashes series so far, taking 21 wickets in four Tests, but says team-mate McGrath will be missed.

"He's irreplaceable, I don't think anyone will ever replace him as they won't ever replace Warnie," Clark said.

"If I can do some of the job that Glenn has done over the years then I'll be more than happy with that but I don't think we're ever going to replace Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne."

McGrath is expecting that he will experience different emotions to Warne when the pair play their final Test together next week.

But McGrath said his decision to continue playing one-day cricket meant it would not be his final farewell to Australian fans.

"I've still got one more Test match to go but then I am into the one-day series so it's a bit of a strange feeling," he said.

"Whereas Warnie's finishing up here in Sydney I am continuing on for a few more one-dayers so they won't quite be the same."

No comments: