Monday, December 25, 2006

Lara would not mind playing Tests till 40

Brian LaraMELBOURNE: Retirements might be in vogue but West Indies batting legend Brian Lara appears in no mood to hang his boots now, saying he wants to play Test cricket for as long as he can.
Lara, however, might consider quitting one-day cricket after the World Cup in his homeland.
“I cut back on one-day cricket a couple of months ago because Test cricket is what I really love,” said West Indies skipper.
“Test cricket is true test of your ability and that’s the one game I’d love to play a bit longer. Quitting one-day cricket is looking that way. Since taking over captaincy again, it has had an effect on me mentally and physically,” said Lara who is holidaying in Australia.
“I’m not sure how much one-day cricket I’ll be playing after the World Cup. Hopefully we can win it and that would be a great way to go out,” said the batting ace, who has scored 11,953 runs at an average of 52.88 in Tests.
“I don’t know if I’ll get to 40 but I want to play as long as I can. My enthusiasm is still there. I know I still have some Tests ahead of me — and hopefully more big innings,” he was quoted as saying in ‘Sunday Telegraph’.
His innumerable milestones notwithstanding, Lara said he still felt “unfulfilled” and was willing to give up all his records to be a part of a winning team like Australia.

No comments: